Mike Brampton - Managing Director
Since 2005 Mike has regularly lectured at Cambridge University and Nottingham University Veterinary Schools on Blood Pressure and Anaesthesia application and monitoring techniques. He has also previously lectured at Oxford, Liverpool, Glasgow, Bristol, Dublin and Manchester Universities, has co-authored or been cited in numerous Clinical and Veterinary Research papers. Mike is a member of The Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists.
Current projects include working with The British Olympic Swimming Team with Pulse Oximetry, developing an automatic Blood Pressure System for Cats, an Oximetry system for the conscious monitoring of Veterinary patients and extending development work with The International Zoo Vet Group.
In his spare time Mike enjoys bicycle racing, and has competed at European Masters level. He is currently ranked 7th in his age group nationally. In addition to this, he has a particular interest in wild animal and field anaesthesia and has assisted in procedures on a wide range of animals from snow leopards to elephants.
- 1981 Left Sheffield having studied Applied Biology.
- 1981-94 Experience working in Orthopaedics, Pharmaceuticals and then 8 years in Anaesthesia and Trauma Medicine.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Trained.
- Demonstrated latest Paediatric Life Support Techniques at European Resusitation Council Meeting, Vienna.
- Lectured and taught Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation in Germany, Austria and UK.
- Introduced Pulse Oximetry to UK Ambulance Services, changing the way Paramedics assess patients.
- 1994 founded Thames Medical Ltd.
- 1995 Introduced 1st Veterinary Pulse Oximeter.
- 1996 Designed and introduced to the UK, the Minipack 911 Emergency Services Blood Pressure Monitor and 911S Pulse Oximeter Blood Pressure Monitor.
- 1997 Designed and Built Tiger Veterinary Pulse Oximeter (1st and only UK built Veterinary Pulse Oximeter).
- 1st person to monitor a mouse successfully with Pulse Oximetry (Newcastle University).
- 1998 Oximetry Patent; a multi wavelength Pulse Oximeter to detect carbon monoxide, and/or sugars as well as oxygen in blood, real time non-invasively.
- 1999 Patented Fire and Rescue Breathing Apparatus including Vital Signs Transmission via telemetry to avoid unnecessary deaths in fires.
- 1999 Designed & Developed "reflectance”/transmission Oximetry Probe for use un obtrusively for Fire-fighters and Hazmat use.
- 2000 Designed & Developed "reflectance”/transmission Rectal/cloacal Oximetry Probe specifically for birds and reptiles.
- 2002 Set up Infra-Red remote temperature monitoring in Rodents for UK Government Home Office Study to reduce stress and trauma in temperature monitoring.
- 2002 Designed & Developed Rat Blood Pressure Monitor to enable fast accurate data to be gained in as stress less way as possible using an automatic tail cuff.
- 2003 Designed & Developed Mouse Blood Pressure Monitor similar to above with different algorithm and smaller cuffs and sensors.
- 2003 Designed & Developed UK’s No1 Blood Pressure system for Cats & Dogs the CAT DopplerTM.